Scarlatti Master Clock
Possesses the ability to unravel music like no other digital system - resulting in a performance that is simply stunning.
Scarlatti needs no introduction and since its launch has been the recipient of awards across the world for its extraordinary performance both in terms of objective measurements and the subjective musical experience it offers.
Clocking is very important in an audio system because any timing errors that occur in the DAC will be converted directly into errors in the analogue output. Our DACs can act as the system master clock, but listening tests have shown that there is no substitute for a high-quality, dedicated master clock.
Used as part of the Scarlatti digital audio playback system it improves on an already spectacular sound and takes it into an entirely new domain. With a clock added to a dCS system images snap into sharper focus and the music displays a substantially greater sense of authority and power as well as, most importantly, offering noticeably higher resolution of detail.
Scarlatti Master Clock is based on our professional studio master clocks and the highly successful Verona clock. All dCS Master Clocks are subjected to rigorous in-house testing, the crystal oscillators are pre-aged and selected for long term stability.
Scarlatti Master Clock now features an asynchronous USB input which allows direct connection of a PC, supporting high resolution audio. In this mode the Master Clock synchronises the audio by providing a feedback pipe to the PC/Mac. The computer then is effectively locked to the Master Clock, which can have a much more accurate clock and much lower jitter. The Master Clock will automatically switch output clock frequency to match the incoming audio stream resulting in a simple yet extremely accurate performance.
dCS equipment is designed to generate and accept industry standard Word Clock on 75 ohm co-axial cable. Other manufacturers' equipment designed to accept standard Word Clock can be used with our clocks. Non-standard clock formats must be assumed to be proprietary to that manufacturer.
All of the Scarlatti products benefit from our ‘soft' approach to programmable logic, which allows new software to be loaded from a dCS update disc to add new features and adapt to changes in digital formats.
- Class 1 Master Clock
- finish options
- Silver or Black
(W) 465mm x (D) 405mm x (H) 75mm/
(W) 18.3" x (D) 16.0" x (H) 3.0"
Allow extra depth for cable connectors
- CD mechanism
- converter type
- analogue outputs
- digital I/O
External Reference Input on 1x 75Ω BNC connector. Accepts word clock or AC coupled signals at 32kHz, 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 1MHz, 5MHz or 10MHz. Lock range is +/-300ppm.
PCM DIGITAL INPUTS
1 x USB2.0 interface on Type B connector.
6x Word Clock outputs, independently buffered, may be set to 44.1, 48, 88.2 or 96kHz*.
2x SPDIF on 1x RCA Phono and 1x BNC, carry data from the USB input.
- word clock I/O
6 independently buffered outputs on 75Ω BNC connectors, all carry the same clock frequency.
- clock frequencies
- 44.1kHz or 48kHz, calibrated within +/-1ppm, (typically +/-0.1ppm), temperature compensated.
- residual noise
- spurious responses
- software updates
- Updates loaded by CD-R or USB.
- software version
- local control
- Nevo Q50TM programmable remote control is supplied with the Scarlatti Transport, or RS232.
- power supply
- Factory set for 100, 115, 220 or 230 V AC, 49 – 62Hz.
- power consumption
- 8 Watts typical/ 12 Watts maximum.
"To be honest the Scarlatti makes all other CD spinners sound positively crude”
Jason Kennedy, Hi-Fi Choice
- Scarlatti Master Clock is a grade 1 master clock, featuring 6 word clock outputs and a USB-SPDIF converter.
- All dCS products use a sophisticated multi-mode phase locked loop (PLL), which significantly reduces clock jitter.
- Higher capacity FPGAs (Field Programmable Gate Arrays) give more logic capacity and increase the scope for additional features and enhancements.
- Improved power supplies give lower running temperature and increased tolerance to AC supply variations.
- 16-bit micro-controller for a generally improved control system.
- Aero grade aluminium chassis and laminated acoustic damping panels, reduce magnetic effects and vibration.
- The Scarlatti range features a low-power LCD display that makes the user interface easier to read, keeps the power requirements down and minimises electrical noise.
- Our ‘soft' approach to programmable logic allows dCS products to adapt to changes in digital formats and add new features by loading new software from a CD.