Possesses the ability to unravel music like no other digital system - resulting in a performance that is simply stunning. Scarlatti needs no introduction and since its launch has been the recipient of awards across the world for its extraordinary performance both in terms of objective measurements and the subjective musical experience it offers.
Scarlatti DAC uses state of the art technology from dCS including the dCS Ring DACTM, Digital Processing Platform and Clocking System so that, as the hub of a digital audio system, an array of features guarantee amazing performance from any digital source.
The unique design of the legendary dCS Ring DACTM combines exceptional linearity with very high speed operation enabling it to deliver true 24 bit performance even at low signal levels and the powerful digital processing platform of Scarlatti DAC is based around Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) chips, Digital Signal Processing (DSP) chips and a microcontroller system. All of these use code developed and maintained in the UK by dCS.
The optimised DSP filters available to Scarlatti DAC owners will ensure you can extract every last nuance of musical detail and tune the system to suit your personal preference.
Scarlatti DAC features standard AES3, SPDIF and SDIF-2 inputs in addition to the IEEE 1394 interface. The digital volume control allows direct connection to a power amplifier, there is no need for a preamplifier. Maximum output can be either two or six volts to suit different amp/speaker combinations.
The unit can be used in Master mode to provide a clock for the source or be locked to an external word clock signal generated by a dCS Master Clock - this produces a substantial performance improvement. dCS were pioneers in the use of external clocks in digital audio systems and the multi-stage Phase-Locked-Loop (PLL) system used in Scarlatti DAC sets reference standards for accuracy and control of troublesome jitter from the incoming audio stream.
To realise the greatest performance, Scarlatti DAC should be used with the matching Scarlatti Upsampler, Scarlatti CD/SACD Transport and Scarlatti Master Clock. Alternatively Scarlatti DAC can be used with any industry standard CD Transport, digital streamer or music server.
All of the Scarlatti products benefit from our ‘soft' approach to programmable logic, which allows new software to be loaded from a dCS update disc to add new features and adapt to changes in digital formats.
- Digital-to-Analogue Converter
- finish options
- Silver or Black
(W) 465mm x (D) 405mm x (H) 75mm/
(W) 18.3" x (D) 16.0" x (H) 3.0"
Allow extra depth for cable connectors
- CD mechanism
- converter type
- dCS proprietary Ring DACTM topology.
- analogue outputs
Output Levels: 2V rms or 6V rms on all outputs for a full-scale input, set in the menu.
Balanced Outputs - 1 stereo pair on 2x 3-pin male XLR connectors.
These outputs are electronically balanced and floating, the signal balance ratio at 1kHz is better than 40dB
Output impedance is 3Ω, maximum load is 600Ω (a 10kΩ load is recommended).
Unbalanced Outputs - 1 stereo pair on 2x RCA Phono connectors.
Output impedance is 52Ω, maximum load is 600Ω (a 10kΩ load is recommended).
- digital I/O
IEEE 1394 interface on 2x 6-way connectors. The interface accepts dCS-encrypted DSD (1 bit data at 2.822MS/s).
2x AES/EBU on 3-pin female XLR connectors. Each will accept up to 24 bit PCM at 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4 & 192kS/s.
3x SPDIF on 2x RCA Phono and 1x BNC connectors. Each will accept up to 24 bit PCM at 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4 & 192kS/s.
1x SPDIF optical on a Toslink connector, will accept up to 24 bit PCM at 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2 & 96kS/s.
1x SDIF-2 interface on 2x BNC connectors, will accept up to 24 bit PCM at 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96kS/s
or SDIF-2 DSD (auto-selected). If the unit is not in Master mode, this interface requires a compatible word clock input, locked to the data rate.
- word clock I/O
Word Clock Input on 1x BNC connector. Accepts standard word clock at 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4 &192kHz. The data rate can be the same as the clock rate or an exact multiple (0.5x, 1x, 2x, 4x) of the clock rate.
Word Clock Output on 1x BNC connector. Outputs 44.1kHz In Master mode.
- clock frequencies
- 44.1kHz in Master Mode.
Calibrated within +/-10ppm, not temperature compensated.
- residual noise
- Better than -110dB0 @ 20Hz - 20kHz unweighted. (6V Setting)
- spurious responses
- Better than -100dB0 @ 20Hz - 20kHz.
PCM mode - 4 filters give different trade-offs between the Nyquist image rejection and the phase response.
2 extra filters (5 & 6) are available at 44.1kS/s. Filter 5 is a "Classic" sharp filter with linear phase and pre-ringing, while Filter 6 is an asymmetrical "Apodizing" filter with non-linear phase and no pre-ringing.
2 extra asymmetrical filters (5 & 6) are available at 176.4 kS/s and 192 kS/s.
DSD mode - 4 filters progressively reduce out-of-audio band noise level (inherent in the 1-bit nature of DSD).
- software updates
- Updates loaded by CD-R.
- software version
- local control
- Nevo Q50TM programmable remote control is supplied with the Scarlatti Transport, or RS232.
- power supply
- Factory set for 100, 115, 220 or 230 V AC, 49 - 62Hz.
- power consumption
- 22 Watts typical/ 30 Watts maximum
"This Scarlatti trio is so transparent it makes other players - including our 10 grand reference - sound mechanical and crude by comparison..."
World's Most Desirable Kit, What Hi-Fi
- Scarlatti DAC uses the proprietary dCS Ring DAC, which has several detail improvements over earlier versions.
- The dCS Ring DAC is a discrete balanced design which does not use any off-the-shelf DAC chips commonly found in other manufacturer's products.
- Our proprietary 5 bit oversampling topology produces exceptional linearity across the dynamic range.
- All dCS products use a sophisticated multi-mode phase locked loop (PLL), which significantly reduces clock jitter.
- Faster, 100% accurate DSPs (within the bounds of their resolution) give improved filters revealing yet more fine detail.
- Higher capacity FPGAs (Field Programmable Gate Arrays) give more logic capacity and increase the scope for additional features and enhancements.
- Improved power supplies give lower running temperature and increased tolerance to AC supply variations.
- Aero grade aluminum chassis and laminated acoustic damping panels, reduce magnetic effects and vibration.
- The Scarlatti range features a low-power LCD display that makes the user interface easier to read, keeps the power requirements down and minimises electrical noise.