Elegant yet powerful Paganini is the entry point to the magic of digital separates offering all the functionality needed for the unique experience that is synonymous with dCS.
The design philosophy behind the Paganini range was to expand the feature set of the one box Puccini and offer a system that would elevate the musical performance yet further. Sharing many of the same key technologies found in Scarlatti the main differences are in the chassis where its subtle curvature provides elegance rather than authority.
Paganini Upsampler is designed to act as the hub of a digital audio system and will transform your listening experience, taking your music collection to levels you have not heard before. Accessing music from any digital source Paganini Upsampler converts the audio from its native sample rate to either DSD (1 bit data at 2.822 or 3.07 MS/s) or standard high resolution PCM (24 bit data up to 192 kS/s).
Possessing an array of independently selectable digital inputs, upsampling and filter options Paganini Upsampler elevates the performance of Red Book CD from CD Players or high resolution audio from digital streamers and servers to a previously unsurpassed level.
dCS were pioneers in the use of external clocks in digital audio systems and the multi-stage Phase-Locked-Loop (PLL) system used in Paganini Upsampler is extremely accurate in the control of troublesome jitter from the incoming audio stream.
Paganini Upsampler also features an asynchronous USB input which allows direct connection of a PC, supporting high resolution audio. In this mode the Upsampler synchronises the audio by providing a feedback pipe to the PC/Mac. The computer then is effectively locked to the Upsampler, which can have a much more accurate clock and much lower jitter.
All of the Paganini products benefit from our ‘soft' approach to programmable logic, which allows new software to be loaded from a dCS update disc or USB to add new features or adapt to changes in digital formats.
- Digital-to-Digital Converter
- finish options
- Silver or Black
- (W) 460mm x (D) 400mm x (H) 110mm
(W) 18.1" x (D) 15.8" x (H) 4.4"
- 10.6 kg/ 23.3lbs.
- CD mechanism
- converter type
- analogue outputs
- digital I/O
* USB2.0 interface on a B-type connector. Operates in asynchronous mode.
* AES3 on a 3-pin female XLR connector.
* 2x SPDIF on 2x RCA Phono connectors.
* All digital inputs will accept PCM data at up to 24 bit PCM at 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2 or 96kS/s.
Outputs* IEEE 1394 interface on 2x 6-way connectors. In DSD mode, the interface outputs dCS-encrypted DSD (1 bit data at 2.822MS/s).
* 2x AES3 on 3-pin female XLR connectors. Each outputs 24 bit PCM at 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2 or 96kS/s, OR as a Dual AES pair at 88.2, 96, 176.4 or 192kS/s.
* 2x SPDIF on RCA Phono connectors. Each outputs 24 bit PCM at 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2 or 96kS/s.
- word clock I/O
- Word Clock Input on 1x BNC connector. Accepts standard word clock at 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2 & 96kHz.
Sensitive to TTL levels.
Word Clock Output on 1x BNC connector. Outputs standard word clock at a frequency equal to the (single wire) output data rate, or 44.1kHz when set to output DSD.
- clock frequencies
- residual noise
- spurious responses
- Better than -100dB0 @ 20Hz - 20kHz for Fs> 32kS/s, 20Hz - 14kHz for 32kS/s.
- PCM mode - 4 filters give different trade-offs between the Nyquist image rejection and the phase response when converting 44.1 > 88.2, 44.1 > 176.4, 44.1 > DSD, 48 > 96, 48 > 192 or 88.2 to DSD.
- software updates
- Loaded from CD-R.
- software version
- local control
- An optional metal cased IR remote is available, or RS232.
- power supply
- Factory set for 100, 115, 220 or 230 V AC, 49 - 62Hz
- power consumption
- 12.7 Watts typical/ 15 Watts maximum.
- USB input forms a gateway to a dCS Ring DACTM, allowing listeners to obtain true high end sound from their computer based music.
- USB is isochronous. This means that the host (Computer) and client (Paganini Upsampler) both know how much bandwidth is available at the outset, so the host can guarantee that bandwidth will be available all the time.
- All major dCS products use a sophisticated multi-mode phase locked loop (PLL), which significantly reduces clock jitter.
- Faster, 100% accurate DSPs (within the bounds of their resolution) give improved filters revealing yet more fine detail.
- Higher capacity FPGAs (Field Programmable Gate Arrays) give more logic capacity and increase the scope for additional features.
- Improved power supplies give lower running temperature and increased tolerance to AC supply variations.
- Our ‘soft' approach to programmable logic allows dCS products to adapt to changes in digital formats and add new features by loading new software from a CD.
- High grade aluminium chassis and laminated acoustic damping panels, reduce magnetic effects and vibration.
- The Paganini range features a low-power LCD display that makes the user interface easier to read, keeps the power requirements down and minimises electrical noise.